Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I made it this far


 

Family!!!
 
 
Hello! :)  I opened my email and there were a ton of messages... Thanks for forwarding those, Mom....  I'm not sure if I'll have time to read all those in the MTC, so I might be a little clueless until I get to the field!  So everyone write me! I have plenty of time to read letters... I'm actually getting to be known as the one with the letters, haha.  But I love it, so write!
 
The MTC is weird and great at the same time.  I totally love my district.  They are fantastic young men (and Sister Jack) who really love the gospel, and know why they are serving missions, and why the Lord needs them.  We have Elder McCoy (didn't get the Bones joke...) (Leeds) who is our District leader.  He is from Smithfield!  He is actually the boy I walked through security with.  He is very quiet, but not particulary shy.  He always has a huge smile on his face.  His comp is Elder Brewerton (Leeds) from British Columbia.  Brewerton is very great, although slightly awkward.  He tries to joke about taking me or Sister Jack out when he gets home, but it isn't particularly funny, because it seems to serious and desperate.  I told him he can add me as a friend on facebook, if he remembers who I am.  Elder Layton (Scot/Ire) is from Arizona and is our zone leader.  He is a very serious misisonary, although doesn't seem to be a very serious person generally.  He was upset about us beating him, but we'll talk about that later.  Elder Chapman is his comp, and he is from Coventry!  \I asked him if there was a Dr. Who episode filmed there and he said he thought so.  Chapman is actually going to Norway, as he already speaks the language.  He reminds me a lot of Elder Bennion... although more... jolly.  That sounds super weird, but his mannerisms and facial expressions and stuff.  So everytime Chapman talks I get this huge smile on my face because it reminds me of Sam.  Elder Smith (Leeds) is from Cardston BC.  He is a basketball pro... best in the zone appearently.  He is great too.  Elder Mauff (Scot/Ire) is crazy.  He is definitely the loudest mouth in the district, and a clown.  He brought *67* ties on his mission.  The other Elders said, "6 to 7, not 67!"  haha.  Mauff is a convert of one year, down in Arizona, but he already knows so much about the gospel and has helped a lot of his friends with their conversion process.  It's really cool.
 
We have two teachers, Brother Shearing and Brother Perry.  Both of them served in Manchester! Yeah-a.  Manchester-town.  Brother Shearing has been here for years, so he kind of has lessons plans down pat, but Brother Perry is newer and isn't afraid to talk to us about our actual concerns.  He told us that a lot of missionaries think they are sent here to fail, but that in Manchester you can honestly expect double digits in baptisms... WHAAAAAA?  Shocker.  You have to work hard, blah blah blah... but the gospel is still growing strong in England!  Boom.  Money.  (I told Mauff that... now he walks around saying "I feel so money right now...")  B. Perry also said that there is a ton of Chinese converts, even for non-mandarine speaking missionaries.  In one of his areas they were teaching 30 Chinese investigators and had to call some other missionaries in to help out.  Cool.  Tue shoe gwon, everybody.
 
We have to practice with investigators, which are really our teachers.  Yesterday B. Shearing was being "John".  Appearently John is not so receptive to the gospel.  Mauff/Smith and Layton/Chapman came out, totally freaking out because they dind't get any commitments from John, except to go back again.  They couldn't believe it was so hard.  There were seriously complaining forever... totally freaked me out.  Like supa big time.  McCoy/Brewerton placed a BofM, but no real commitments.  I was so scared walking in there.  I thought I was going to freaking die.  Especially since the night before with "andy" (B. Perry) I totally froze up.  We started talking to John, and he had a lot of questions about God and His real nature, since he was a scientist.  We taught him a bit about God's true nature, and then I told him, about the BofM and promised him that it would let him know for sure.  Then after that I was like, 'When you know the BofM is true, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?'  He was like, 'well, I'm not stupid, so if I know it is true... yeah.'   Oh my goodness, I was totally shaking.  You should have seen the Districts faces.  They were in shock.  One of them was lilke, 'I knew it would be the sisters.'  Yup.  That was pretty exciting.  That's how we get it done here in MTC-town.
 
It is so weird.  The MTC reminds me of debate.  Its like our 'partnership' is prepping out for our investigators.  Then we go into 'round' and then everyone comes back out and tell everyone else if they won or lost.  But everyone can win, as long as they effectively teach the gospel.
 
They have a new system of teaching in the MTC.  It just started in Provo this week, although it has been here for about a month.  It should be pretty good.  I'm not sure what is different.  If you really want to know what we are learning about, and what we will teach people look at 2 Nephi 31.  It is about the Doctrine of Christ.  It's super cool.
 
We went to the Temple today.  Oh my goodness!  I LOVE THE TEMPLE!  Here is a goal.  Everyone reading this... go to the Temple before next week when I write again.  Go to a session, go do baptisms, go walk around the grounds.  It will bring you peace and joy in your life.  If you need names, go ask my mom.  She has some I found before I left.  GO TO THE TEMPLE.
 
I'm still nervous, but I'm glad I'm finally in the ranks with peeps such as Elder Cannon, DeFriez, Bennion, Corbridge, Devenport, Peck, and soon Elder Hull!!!!!!
 
I love you so much.  Best Wishes to you all.  Write me a letter... do it now.
 
Sister Jasmine Hull
 
PS  HAPPY 16 Jenika!!!!!!!  If you wreck my car I will cry a thousand bitter tears.... so be careful.  And you better tell me about any dates you go on.... or I will also cry a thousand bitter tears....



No comments:

Post a Comment