Monday, December 19, 2011

Only....6 more sleeps til Christmas :)

Hello Mom!
 
This is a funny story I forgot to tell you.  Sister Maughan had a dream a while back that we were having a special Zone Conference.  This zone conference was a very special, historical, one for the England Manchester Mission.  Not only was it special for the England Manchester Mission, but also for the church because it was a special Multi-Mission Zone Conference.  It was here in England, but it wasn't combined with Leeds and Birmingham, now, it was combined with some very special other missions... they flew every missionary in from these missions: Chile Rosorno (Elder Peter Maughan served there), Iowa Des Moines (Elder Cannon), Austrialia Brisbane (Elder DeFriez) and Canada Winnipeg (Elder Brendon Mansfield, of the Stafford Branch, whom we never met, is serving there).  I'm a bit blurry on the details of what happened at this Multi-Mission Zone Conference, but I'm pretty sure it was great.  I hope Bolivia Cochabamba will also be invited :)
 
Speaking of, I can't believe it was Jordan's farewell talk yesterday!  That is so insane... life changes so quickly.  I totally do remember being right there... the day of the farewell is pretty good because you just feel an outpouring of love, but the days after are a bit of a beast.  I'm glad that I get to speak with him before he leaves... it seems like someone planned it ;)  I'm sure it was planned.  Sister Maughan has been teaching me this Christmas about the Spirit of Compensation.  It is really how Heavenly Father compensates us for those things (and mostly people) we are missing.  Sometimes as missionaries we try to hold on really really tight, and not forget, because it will be horrible to forget... but then we just get homesick.  Heavenly Father helps us hold on really tight, but He compensates us so we don't have to feel *as* homesick.  We really get to use the Atonement as a balm to soothe our troubled hearts.  I know that is true because I have felt it... and I know that Jordan will be able to feel that as well.
 
It's super scary going into the MTC... but it is possible.  I remember the night before I was set apart I told Katie that I didn't have any faith.  She told me, 'You are going to get on that airplane.  That is faith.  You don't have to do anything else right now.'  And it is so true.  Faith is an action word.  We have to take that first step.  The moments Jordan walks into the MTC will probably be some of the hardest of his life, but as he takes that step, Heavenly Father acknowledges that, and compensates.  When he thinks he'll never be able to learn the lessons in Spanish, he'll need to study a bit harder, and Heavenly Father acknowledges that, and compensates.  We really can't do anything without Heavenly Father's guidance and Jesus Christ's atonement.  I know that is true.  I've tried, I was trying my whole life until now, I think, and now I realize how much I was failing.
 
Jordan's going to be an amazing missionary.  He has such a sweet testimony of the gospel.  It is pure, simple, and yet profoundly logical.  He also cares for others deeply, and when he does that he has no desire whatsoever to hurt them.  And he doesn't really get upset easily, which is a beautiful quality to have pre-mission.  Because when some 16 year old kid tells you that he doesn't believe in God because he is 'educated'... it is upsetting.  But Jordan won't really have to deal with that, because he'll just bare testimony. 
 
I'm so glad to hear that so many people were able to attend his farewell.  Missions really make you realize how many people care about you, and how profusely loved you are.  I realize by how many people came to my farewell, how many write and send me things, and how many prayers are offered that I am so loved.  I really don't know what I did to recieve that, and I don't know that I can ever hope to reciprocate it, but I am so thankful.  I can't even express how blessed I am.  I feel like I was such a jerk most of the time, but you loved me.  Wow.
 
We are going to have a fabulous Christmas.  The members have been showering us with love, and so our tree is stocked with gifts and cards.  We are going to the Preston's for a Christmas meal on Thursday (that is when they will hand out the packages), and then to the Dowds on Christmas Eve, the Notts on Christmas Day (and obviously the Deans that evening) and the Hills on Boxing Day.  We have already been invited to the Sherrards for New Years Day, but I may or may not be here because transfers are the Wednesday in between.  I just can't believe how they have helped us.  It is so amazing.  We have been hand delivering Christmas cards to the members and they have been letting us in to teach them, and to feel of the Spirit in their homes.  I love it.  It has definitely been my compensation, because Stafford Branch is my family this Christmas.  And Oh MY GOODNESS.  You don't realize what it feels like to have the Spirit in your home until you move to England.  There is a profound difference in the feeling of members homes and investigators homes.  It is like night and day.  Seriously.  I never realized it at home because all of our family and friends have the Spirit there, and so it is just a constant, you know.  But I'm so excited to spend the holidays in their homes... it will be like my heart is healing itself.
 
We have a dated investigator!  My first proper one, which is amazing.  His name is Chris M, and we street contacted him, but he wouldn't set an appointment with us, but went and looked online and found Sister Davis' blog (the one you were looking at before I left) and wanted to be taught.  It's really funny because he knows all of this missionary rules and things, and makes sure we tow the line.  We were teaching him the other day at the University (<3 universities!) and our member fellowshipper's, Nathaniel, lecturer came up to us and started talking to us and stuff.  Nathaniel was mortified that we were going to get thrown out or something, but I was thinking that universities, if anything, are a public forum, meaning you have the right to talk about anything there.  But I didn't know the UK laws on public domain.  Anyway, the professor wasn't mad, he just thought we were interesting.  He finally asked, 'Am I bothering you?... sorry to interrupt.'  Chris was like, 'yeah, actually I'm thinking about becoming a Mormon, so I need to talk to them.'  It was so funny/great.  He is not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  He is going home for the holidays, but wants us to set up for the Elders to teach him while he is gone.  He even found the church's phone number for where he is going.  He is great, albeit a little shy.
 
We had our Branch Christmas Party.  We had a time getting Chris there, but we eventually did, and he just started socializing.  It was like he didn't need us to introduce him.  We of course, did, but we had a fun conversation with the 'Bachelor Table' where all of our investigators, recent converts, and a less active were.  The bachelor table had Bachelors' ranging in age from 25-80.  Also from 1 to 92.  (Chipmunks roasting on an open fire... ;P).  Also, President Dowd was Santa's helper, which was so funny.  And Sister Hill was and elf.  The kids were so funny.  The Deans son, George, was like wrestling his father to try to get to Santa, and Ismai had her named called, but there was another Ismai, and so the second time, when it was called for real, she didn't trust Santa.  It was like, 'I've been burned by you before...'  She is two.  So funny.  Love 'em :)
 
We also had our district picture at our last district meeting.  Sister Maughan and I told everyone to wear Christmas colours.  So the did.  Most of the camras were being dumb and so the picture quality wasn't very good.  But all the Elders' were like, 'Whoa, these are so good!'  Sisters, 'um, the quality is horrible...'  Elder, 'But we are all MATCHING!!!'  Yes we are, Elder, yes we are.
 
I realized just barely one of my Christmas traditions for the past three years, has been working at Lee's.  Sister Dean got a job in a deli and we talk regularly about what a great job it is.  And we are both completely serious.  It was a really great job for me, I miss it sometimes.
 
I can't believe White Christmas is over.  I completely, from start to finish, missed it.  That is so weird to me.  I have a hard time believing everything is still going on at home, because I've never seen home without me in it.  Not saying the world should self-destruct, but I just can't imagine it, you know?  So strange.
 
I just want to keep typing.  Ahhh.... I get to talk to you next week :)  It's going to be so good... and a little bit weird.
 
I forgot my list for the shout-out.  I remember I opened both of my grandpa's, and Andrea signed hers as Damien Bellos.  I'll try to remember next week.
 
Have a beautiful day.  I love you all sooooo much.  All of the chocolate England couldn't hold my love for you.  Even all the chocolate in my flat couldn't :) (A lot of chocolate... and I do like chocolate quite a bit more here, but it is still A LOT of chocolate.  I'll probably end up eating most of it, though.)
 
Loves,
 
Sister Jasmine Hull
3 Nephi 1:11-13
 
PS Did you recieve my Christmas card?  I hope I put enough post on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment