Hello Family!
I really can't believe it has been another week. Sometimes it goes by so fast... its crazy! I think one reason why is because I'm so scared of change... and now change will potentially happen every 6 weeks... and so time goes faster. Sister Low says each transfer goes by faster and faster in the mission :) Crazy.
Just so everyone knows... when I wrote the address of my flat a few weeks ago I didn't write the country at the end... I've notice some have been returned and that makes me feel bad :( Or it takes longer to recieve it so I'm not as quick to respond... so just write United Kingdom or England at the end of it... that should be fine :).
Sounds like it has been a crazy week back home... wow! Jordan got to go to the Temple! I love the Temple! I really always have, but now I'm even more thankful for it in so many ways. I wish I could go everyday like I did for that first week. That was amazing. But I have other important things to do. President Kimball says in PMG that missionary work and Temple work shouldn't be divided or seperated because they are the same redemptive work! So I'm still doing part of it, I suppose... :D
Jenika went on her first date! Crazy... I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday that I was going on my first date, and standing in that exact same spot and you taking my picture. Wow. That was so fun. Every once in a while I miss high school, and it is when I remember fun things like that :)
Sounds like Jaden is doing great at soccer... congrats to him on the new cleats :) We call it football here, though. Which makes more sense than American football for sure :) Everyone LOVES football here.... LOVES IT! I think the nearest team is in Wolverhampton... or maybe Stoke. The Wolverhampton Wolves. Only 16 miles south of us, but outside of our mission. There was a Manchester game last weekend in Stoke and there was an accident on the Motorway so everyone and their dog was driving through Stafford. It made a mess of driving and being timely. Like we are ever on time anyway.
I'm appropriately outfitted for right now. During the winter I may have to find some warmer sweaters (jumpers). The cds are great. S. Low loves the missionary compilation one. I wouldn't worry too much about bringing a ton of cds because I think most people bring a bunch, so just bring favorites. Upbeat ones are good, like Praise to the Man and things. This morning we listened to 'Pathway to the Promise' on repeat. It is a song that a missionary in the EMM wrote, and the last President says things on it. It gets stuck in our head like none other. Yesh.
This week. Wow. On Tuesday after district meeting we had an exchange! We didn't know about it until a couple days before because somewhere along the line the message didn't get passed on. Its kind of tricky for sisters to have an exchange b/c usually you exchange with your district, but we are the only sisters in our district... or zone! So we had to exchange with the sisters in the Manchester zone (Our zone is called Newcastle-Under-Lyme.) So they had to meet us halfway, they on the train, we in the car. We there exchanged. Sister Low went up to Manchester and Sister Babbel came with me. And we got lost on the way home! But we eventually ended up in Stafford.
S. Babbel is very different from me or S. Low. She likes things like manga and was kind of hoping that she would get called to Japan on her mission. I was afraid things would be super awkward... but they weren't. She was nice enough and only has one transfer left so she knows whats going on... most of the time :)
We went to Sister Nott's that evening for dinner. S. Nott was telling me how much she misses her grandchildren. I told her how much I miss my grandma's. She said she will be my 'Stafford Nannie (grandma).' It was so sweet... Everytime she sees me now she is like, 'my substitute granddaughter!' haha.
Wednesday was good. We taught Nirmala again. She is so great and learning so much. She really doesn't know anything about Christianity but she is learning so much and really soaking it all in :) It really is amazing to watch how much she is learning. We probably won't be able to teach her this week because they are having a big Nepalese festival equivilent to Christmas or something, so she will be busy :/ Too bad, we'll have to see her later.
We also taught David. He is still so great. I was really able to lead the discussion since I know about David's needs and things. We asked Brother H. to invite him to church... he did and it was amazing! Brother H. was so much more involved in the lesson, and really wanted David to understand that they care about him and no matter what they are friends. It really was amazing to see. When David prayed that night he thanked the Lord for the feeling of friendship that he felt in that house more than anywhere else in the world... Amazing!
Quick break... Has Josie recieved her call yet? I really want to know!
On Thursday we went back to Crewe to meet S. Low. I was really grateful to have her back. Although it went fine, I was really stressed the whole time because Stafford is my area and I needed to take care of these people! Now the responsiblitity is on both of us again.
We went to the Bensons for Tea on Thursday. S. Benson had made curry, and I was like 'I love curry!' so I was excited. Little did I know that S. Benson doesn't make curry like an American or an Englishperson... no, S. Benson is half Indian... it was sooooo spicy I thought I was going to die! I nearly threw up, I can't lie. BUT I finished it. All of it. That in and of itself is a miracle. AND. I've eaten real Indian food. Legit. Bragging rights. So it was all worth it.
Friday I decided that during lunch I would go through the potentials and reschedule appointments that had fallen through, or call people we hadn't set appointments with. So I made a *ton* of phone calls. In response to one of them we recieved this text message back:
'Just got your miss call sisters! Not sure I want to meet though as [I] fancy the sister with glasses lol. So thanks and good luck'
Guess who doesn't wear her glasses? S. Low. Guess who does? This girl. We figured out that it was a man named Harlem who I met like my 3rd day here... and he is black... and from Ghana. So instead of thinking it was really creepy and things I decided it is kind of like a bucket list that I have a black man that is in love with me... I always wanted that right? I know Chelsey had like a million Ghanaians in love with her because she was white, but there are more white people here than not... so he is really in love with me. Check.
I nearly forgot! My District Leader was on AMERICAN IDOL!!!! I'm in the right mission!!!! I asked him what season and it was season 8... my favorite season ever! He was at the Salt Lake Auditions. He told our district he was right before the big pink bunny... everyone else was like 'There was a big pink bunny? he heh.' and I was like, 'No way, you were right before the big pink bunny! I know what bunny you are talking about! He hugged Simon!' So youtube him. His last name is Welch. I don't know if it says the last names on Idol... I think it does. But he made it in front of the judges, but not to Hollywood. So instead he is on a mission and teaches me things such as how to share the gospel. Also. Every weekend everyone wants to watch the X-Factor and not listen to us. Can't say I would be doing much different.
MIRACLE! The other day we set up this shaky appointment with a YSA named Sajith. We didn't really remember what we had talked to him about, but we were hoping he wasn't Muslim (we aren't really allowed to teach Muslims for their own safety... they have to have like a long term visa and things). We show up to his house... and he was actually there! That in and of itself is a miracle! And he had a friend named Chitura, who also wanted to listen to us. Turns out they are both from Sri Lanka and are here for their final year of Uni. Sajith is buddist and Chitura is Roman Catholic. It was kind of difficult to teach because they were on very different levels when it came to Christ, but it worked out okay. We were just about to tell them about the first vision when Ravindu, another one of their friends, walks in. I was kind of upset because that is the most powerful part of the whole lesson, and he interrupted it! But it turned out great and they were all able to listen to it and feel the Spirit :) We asked them how they felt about Joseph's experience and Sajith said, 'I think it is a miracle!' The other two agreed. It was really amazing. We asked them when we could come back and they said the same time next week, but we will be at General Conference. They decided that they will come to Conference as well so they are going to have one of their friends drive them up to Newcastle.
WHAT? If I wasn't here where would I have ever become friends with 3 Sri Lankans... let alone be teaching them the gospel! It is absolutely insane... it blows my mind sometimes, all the things I am doing. It is crazy. I mean, who does these kinds of things? Crazy!
REMINDER :) It's transfers next week so I won't be emailing until Wednesday or Thursday. As I will most likely being staying in Stafford, probably it will be on Wednesday :) I just don't want anyone to freak out :)
AGH! I miss all of you so much! I honestly do. I am really growing and enjoying myself here, and I loved [most] of the people I'm surrounded by, but I just wish all of you could be here too :) I wish you could see the sights I'm seeing (not really any 'sites' persay, but the places) and talk to some of the crazies I speak to. Missions are nothing and everything you expect. But they are good. I was thinking the other day, I haven't experienced the feeling that I've 'known' anyone before yet... but I really think the afterlife wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without David making me laugh by telling me I shouldn't eat animals anymore. I'm just finding more people to care about.
Anyway, time to go. I love you all soooooo much. Seriously, if you are reading this I LOVE YOU. I worry about you and pray for you, and I know that God will bless you. If you let Him.
Much love,
Jasmine
No comments:
Post a Comment