Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Week-Can You Believe it?

Dear Mom (and Family),
The weeks go by fairly quickly, but sometimes the days go by really slow. And by days I mean hours and by hours I mean whenever I'm standing at a door and no one answers :) Otherwise, yeah, it can be fast.

Our flat. Well, I'm use to it now, but I have to admit I didn't like it in the begining. We do have a microwave, but not a dishwasher. There isn't really a need though, because we only have like 4 plates and 2 bowls and 4 cups. We have a washer... but no dryer. This is the worst part because we have to find places to hang our clothes all around the flat, and you can't wash and wear something immediately. It has 2 bedrooms, one where we sleep and the other we just throw all our extra stuff in, a bathroom, a kitchenette and a living room combined. And the hot water is now not working... I didn't think I was coming to a third world country! Haha, its fine. We aren't in the flat very often anyway, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Yeah, you should definitely let me know when you hear about Josie (and Kevin's) mission calls. I did tell her Kirtland, haha.

Jordan is going to be an AMAZING Elder. It is a great responsibility, but he is going to do so well :)
I'm glad you have our flags hanging up :) I wonder what the Bolivia one looks like? Is there guns and knives like the Mozambique one? I know Karen didn't really like that flag because it was violent :)

The other day we were teaching David again, and he had MJ on before we got there. Sister Low asked him to turn it off. We taught the lesson. He is really receptive and really wants to learn, but he thinks he isn't worth anything. He told us he had problems with his mom, and thinks that she didn't want him. He doesn't understand how anyone could love him, really. We are trying to show him that he is a good person, and about God's love. It's hard sometimes. He loves talking to us, though. He will call and ask about scriptures and everything. It's great.  The other day after we left he sent us this text. Quote:

"Enjoyed To Night! I have got the King of Pop back on! Say a Prayer for Me! SLEEP WELL. David."

I just loved it so much, it made me laugh. He is great. We were wondering how long it took him to text that :)

We had a potluck with the branch this week... at an ESTATE! What? At an estate? It is called Sandan Hall and Sister Hill works there, so the Hills live in a house on the estate. It is SO crazy! We were on an estate! For a Ward Party!
Plus we ate things like finger sandwiches, and I had my very first real trifile. This is funny. When we taught Lee WofW we told him that some members choose not to drink Coke. So he brought a couple cans for himself. For everyone else he brought Irn Bru- from what I can gather is Britian's equivilant to a Rock Star. Yeah. We didn't explain caffine very well, haha.

We had a lesson this week with a woman named Nirmala and her 9 year old daughter Nicosha. Nirmala is from Nepal, and her husband works in the military here (Hayden says they are called gerchers or something... IDK). Anyway, she knows about Hindu and Buddist beliefs, but Nicosha has been going to Catholic Primary school, so she wanted to learn more about what her daughter has been learning. They prayed at the end of the lesson. Nirmala wanted Nicosha to do it, so she whispered the words in her ear and they said their first prayer together. It was amazing!

I have to tell you about the Single Adults. Yeah, we don't have YSA in Stafford, just SA. That is because they are all from 50-80 years of age. And they are awesome. We are going to go and teach FHE for them tonight, one of them is a recent convert (the 80 year old). Anyway, two of them are Brother H and Brother H. They are Stafford rockstars. They have both joined the church within the last two years, and will walk nearly anywhere to come fellowshipping with us. That is so cool, because Bro. H can't walk so fast. The other day David really seemed to like them as well, so hopefully he'll fit in :)

Someone told me that they thought God was an Extra Terrestrial. First reaction (in my mind) "LIKE SPOCK!!!!????". Second reaction, much more calm, "Like an alien?" He then went on about the Ark of the Covenant, and blah blah blah. It is a much more intelligent response than, "I am God" or "Go away."

You know how English people always call each other "love" in movies? Well they really do it, but perhaps more popular is to call young women, such as myself, "duck". "It's awright, duck." "I have me own beliefs, duck." "Ta, duck." Quack.

Speaking of YSA. There is a University here, and we have been counciled by apostles, and mission leadership to really focus on YSA. Uni is starting soon, so we are going to dedicate some time there. Stafford really needs it because without YSA the branch will be basically nonexistant in 30 years. S. Low is pretty nervous about it, she is not really comfortable talking to people like us, beause she is afraid they will reacte like us. So it is taking a lot of faith. The thing I don't know how to handle is that everyone our age is atheist! So we have to start from the foundations. If anyone has suggestions, post them to me. I know Elder DeFriez has worked a lot with YSA (hint hint).

I forgot to say... we found Nirmala on Tedder Road. This is how tracting Tedder was decided.

Sister Hull: I really want to track Tedder, but that is seriously only because I love Ryan Teddar, who is the lead singer of OneRepublic... so it's probably not inspiration.

Sister Low: Well, you were called for this time and this mission... maybe that's why?

Whilst tracking Tedder:

S. Hull: Ryan Teddar was born on this street! This very street! Right here in this road!

S. Low: You really think so?

S. Hull: No. He is from Colorado...

And that is how I rock the EMM. Yup.

Well, I love you. You are all so great :) I am showered with lovely letters, thoughts and prayers. It seriously means the world to me that I'm not forgotten, because there are a lot of people who are. The gospel is true. I am a Daughter of my Heavenly Father... Who loves me. And I want to share that with the world. I guess I'll start in Stafford.

Jasmine

PS To everyone in the band "No Fun Was Had", S. Low and I made a band called "Chasing Men With Beards." Our first single is "I am an Onion Cell." Also S. Low said, "Tell your friends our band is better than theirs." Throwdown.



Newcastle-Manchester Zone(Mission Tour)

No comments:

Post a Comment