Monday, October 10, 2011

Hello everyone:)

Hello Family and Friends!
 
So, where can you teach a Catholic and a Muslim at the same time?  Stafford UK.
 
Over the past three days we have had 3 lessons that just happened.  Unplanned, they just 'let us through the door.'  That like NEVER happens, okay.  But it did, and it is a miracle.
 
The last one we couldn't really report as a lesson because we were unable to have a prayer, but it still happened.  There we were sitting on the lawn, Sister Low trying to convince a German Catholic YSA that he should PRAY about the Book of Mormon, and me telling a Muslim YSA that yes, there were prophets after Christ, but not Muhommad.  It was legit.  Best quote of that evening:
 
Sherh (the Muslim): 'They've got their living prophet, we've got Muhommad, and he (point to the Catholic) is stuck on Jesus!'
 
Sister Low: 'We love Jesus too!'
 
That's right, S. Low, you tell him. It really was one of the funniest conversations ever, and yet really enlightening.  Appearently the Koran was written in 400 bc and it has *never* been changed since.  Assuming that is true, that is great.  Sherh was *shocked* when we told him that our book was older... and it had never been changed either!  WHAT?????  He did ask us if anyone had it memorized, because appearently a lot of Muslims memorize the Koran.  I told him Sister Low about had it memorized.  She disagreed.  It really is okay that he didn't believe us, because we are not actually suppose to teach Muslims. 
 
Another funny one.
 
Sherh: After Jesus, who was the next prophet?
 
Sister Hull: Joseph Smith.
 
Sherh: No, it was Muhommad, peace be upon him, and then there was no more prophets, not even your Thompson Man.
 
Sister Hull: Thomas Monson?  Yeah, he is a prophet.
 
Muslims.  Gotta love em.
 
It was sad, however that the German boy was being distracted.  He had read parts of the Book of Mormon about 4 years ago, but had never prayed about it.  There was a bit of a language barrier, though.  He was translating words on his i phone and then showing it to Sister Low so that she could know what he was talking about.  I think some of it was lost in translation.
 
But regardless of that exciting lesson, we set up two appointments with French men (YSA) and one with a student from China.  I showed him how to write my name in Mandarin, and he showed me how to *actually* write my name in Mandarin.  That was pretty cool.
 
The most amazing of our impromptu lessons was a man named Sam from Ghana.  He is so smart, he is working on his masters, but he has lived like everywhere.  He speaks Chinese too. What?  He speaks twi, another Ghanaian language, Chinese, English and is learning German.  He said he went to a Christian church one time in China and the id'ed him.  He was like, 'I don't look Chinese!' haha.
 
Anyway, he is a Pentacostal (sp?) and sounds very devout.  When I talked to him, and said we were sharing about the Plan of Happiness, he said, 'well, let's sit down' and wiped off a piece of wall where we all sat.  We then had an amazing time telling him about the Book of Mormon, and Joseph Smith, and answers to prayers.  We asked him if he prayed, 'Yeah, but it probably a bit different from how you pray.  I open by talking to God, the Father in Heaven, telling him the things in my heart, and closing in the name of Jesus.'  Um... perfect.  Sister Low seriously pulled out the pamplet to show him that is exactly how we pray.  He wouldn't take a Book of Mormon, because he wants to find out about it on his own time, but he gave us his number so we can ring him and show him around our church sometime.  Amazing!
 
We had an appointment fall through, but the fellowshipper with us, Sister Dean, had us over for tea and a lesson instead.  Oh my goodness, the Deans are amazing, I want to be just like them when I grow up!  The have two little kids, George and Isla, and they are just such a loving happy family.  The actually met on LDS chat, which sounds weird, but it totally worked out for them.  Although Sister Dean lived in Canada they would go visit each other on holiday until they got married.  And now they live here.  Sister Dean has an English accent now, so I didn't realize she wasn't from here.  She can't do an American accent anymore! (Or Canadian, I guess I should say... they are very similar :) ).  Brother Dean can, though.  It is SO funny to hear English people do American accents, but he is actually very good at it.  His favorite thing was to say, 'Hello, I'm from Beliddlyboingy Idaho!'  They fed us tacos, which no one has here, and reminds me of home, and also Dandilion and Burdock fizzy (pop or soda).  It was some of the weirdest drink I've ever had.  Not like bad weird, really, but just undescribable weird.  Plus, guess what?  The Deans are Trekkies!  Do you see why I want to be like them when I grow up!?  And by grow up I guess I mean in like 4-5 years? haha, its kind of weird that they are not much older than us.  Oh, and Sister Dean said she will teach me how to make English (spicy-less) curry sometime.  P Day adventure :)
 
Well, I'm going to sign off now.  I hope everyone has a great day, and you are all blessed.  Heavenly Father is there, and He is waiting to give you a hug.  
 
Love you all,
 
Jasmine 

1 comment:

The Van Tassells said...

Sounds like she is being so blessed for her faith and service! It must be so amazing to see miracles every day :)

Post a Comment